www.industrialheritageireland.info

Industrial Heritage Gazetteer

Clipperstown Station
County Antrim
Latitude 54.717547 Longitude -5.8178374
Grid Reference J 40758770
Last Visit Date 15/03/2022


View Larger Map



Site Description

Approaching the station, the Carrickfergus Harbour branch diverged on the Up side. Opened in 1887, the siding was a nominally independent company, in later years colloquially known as the "Halfpenny Farthing" railway, due to a local rate being struck to maintain it. It closed in 1957. There was a signal cabin at the junction and a separate siding off the main one to serve a salt mine. There are two platforms at this station, at the Bleach Green Junction end of which, there is a road overbridge which bears the inscription "LMS(NCC) 1945". The platforms were extended in 2005 at the Carrickfergus end of the station.

Photographs


Photo Gallery - Clipperstown Station
Google Street View - Clipperstown Station
Geograph.ie - Clipperstown Station (Link checked 28122013)
Geograph.ie - Clipperstown Station (Link checked 28122013)
Geograph.ie - Clipperstown Station (Link checked 28122013)
Geograph.ie - Train approaching Clipperstown Station (Link checked 28122013)
Geograph.ie - Clipperstown somersault signal (Link checked 28122013)
Geograph.ie - Clipperstown Station (Link checked 28122013)
Geograph.ie - Bridge at Clipperstown Station (Link checked 28122013)
Geograph.ie - Clipperstown Station (Link checked 28122013)

Links


Chronological Details

Geographical Details

Section StartSection FinishDistanceMilepostMeasured from
Bleach Green Larne Harbour 4.5 9.25 York Road Station

Site Navigation


Return to Carrickfergus Whitehead Inset Map

Footnotes

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

COPYRIGHT EWAN DUFFY 2010 - : ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. COPYRIGHT SUBSISTS IN THE CONTENT OF THIS PAGE. YOU MAY NOT SAVE A COPY OF THIS AND/OR REPRODUCE THIS IN ANY PUBLICATION AND/OR ON ANY WEBSITE WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT OF EWAN DUFFY. STANDARD CHARGE FOR REPRODUCTION IS EUR100,000.00