Approaching the station, the Portrush Harbour branch, which closed in 1949, diverged on the Down side. The harbour itself can be seen in the distance. There was a locomotive area with a turntable on the Up side. This area is now a bus depot. The signal box, bearing a nameboard, is at the Coleraine end of the station on the Up side. It is normally switched out. There is both a water tower and a water tank, side by side, opposite the cabin. The water tower bears a plaque which gives the makers name "GRANT", "BELFAST" and "1883". The tank bears a couple of smaller plaques, testifying to their manufacture by GRENDON. There are three platforms here, no. 1 on the Up side and no's 2 & 3 formed by an island on the Down side. There was previously a siding between platforms 1 & 2. There is a siding on the Down side of platform 3, connected to the line serving this platform by a crossover, thereby creating a run round facility. However, when the cabin is switched out, only platform 1 is in use.
The original station building is now privately owned and in use a pub and a nightclub. It has been replaced by a smaller ticket office. The Giant's Causeway Tramway, which ran from Portrush to the Giant's Causeway, starting outside the station, finally closed in 1949. In a fit of madness, the current station location was sold to property developers to build apartments on. Translink occupy the site on a lease pending construction of a new station further away from the town.
Looking out across the sea adjacent to the station, two headlands can be seen. The first is that at Downhill, which the Derry line passes along the foot of and the other, more distant land mass is the Malin Peninsula in Co. Donegal. The well known Royal Portrush Golf Course is near the station. The B&NCR lent £200 interest free in 1891 to help build a clubhouse at the course.
|Section Start||Section Finish||Distance||Milepost||Measured from|
|Coleraine Junction||Portrush||5.99||67.75||York Road Station|