www.industrialheritageireland.info

Industrial Heritage Gazetteer

Newry Station
County Armagh
OS Map Grid Reference J 06932785
Last Visit Date


View Larger Map



Site Description

Approaching the station, the town of Newry can be seen in the valley on the Up side. The line then crosses over a road underbridge in the style of an Egyptian Arch before entering the station. Rebuilt and reopened in 1984, there are both Up and Down platforms here, with a car park on the Down side. The waiting room and ticket office, both Portakabins, are on the Down platform. There is a footbridge at the Dublin end of the station and a canopy on both platforms. The former goods area was on the Down side at the Belfast end of the station and contained a store, loading bank and sidings. There are signs on both platforms proclaiming the twinning of the Local Government area with Co. Clare in the Republic of Ireland.

Photographs


Photo Gallery - Newry Station
Geograph.ie - North of station (Link checked 25122013)
Geograph.ie - Accommodation crossing north of station (Link checked 25122013)
Geograph.ie - Newry station (Link checked 25122013)
Geograph.ie - Enterprise at Newry Station (Link checked 25122013)
Geograph.ie - Egyptian Arch (south of station) (Link checked 25122013)
Geograph.ie - Newry station (Link checked 25122013)

Links


Archiseek.com - Newry Station (Link checked 25122013)

Chronological Details

Opened Closed Company Name Notes
/ /1855 / /1942 D&BJR Originally Newry (Mainline), then Newry Monaghan Road, then Bessbrook.
14/05/1984 / /Open NIR Newry

Geographical Details

Section StartSection FinishDistanceMilepostMeasured from
Connolly Station Belfast 69.25 69.25 Connolly Station

Site Navigation


Return to Newry Inset Map

Footnotes

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

COPYRIGHT EWAN DUFFY 2010 - 2018: ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. COPYRIGHT SUBSISTS IN THE CONTENT OF THIS PAGE. YOU MAY NOT SAVE A COPY OF THIS AND/OR REPRODUCE THIS IN ANY PUBLICATION AND/OR ON ANY WEBSITE WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT OF EWAN DUFFY. STANDARD CHARGE FOR REPRODUCTION IS EUR100,000.00