The Waterford and Limerick Railway was, at its name suggests, a railway formed to run between Waterford and Limerick. This it did, opening between Limerick and Tipperary town in 1848 and reaching Waterford in 1854.
The company expanded over the years, operating and later buying a number of independent concerns, giving it branches to Foynes and Killaloe as well as a secondary mainline from Limerick to Tralee with a branch to Fenit. It also ended up with the line from Limerick to Collooney - aka the Western Rail Corridor.
The company was renamed in 1896 to the Waterford, Limerick and Western Railway and was merged with the Great Southern & Western Railway in 1901.
Last modified: 20th August 2022
COPYRIGHT EWAN DUFFY 2010 - : ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. COPYRIGHT SUBSISTS IN THE CONTENT OF THIS PAGE. YOU MAY NOT SAVE A COPY OF THIS AND/OR REPRODUCE THIS IN ANY PUBLICATION AND/OR ON ANY WEBSITE WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT OF EWAN DUFFY. STANDARD CHARGE FOR REPRODUCTION IS EUR100,000.00